Saturday, April 25, 2009

Praise in Gourd Art




We are delighted to welcom Kristin Johnson to our Creative Arts Camp staff. She will be teaching Gourd Art and other art projects to our campers June 14-19.
Kristin comments ," When I create Gourd Art I am praising Jesus. I start by incorporating a verse that has touched my life, then I spend endless hours creating simple designs around the words. "
"My profession is an Art Teacher. I tell my students when I give them a blank piece of paper that their fingers are like magic..what amazing things will happen with that piece of paper?
Or I look at a gourd and often imagine a bowl from the bottom, a vase from the top, and many beads from the middle. I wood burn the basic lines, cut the gourd apart with my knife, then clean out the innards. I spend lots of time carving and sanding each piece. Then I wood burn intricate designs inside and out of the gourd. My favorite technique for adding color is to use oil pastels. I color them on a paper, dip my brush in mineral spirits, then brush the color ." (Quote from the Etsy web page )
Doesn't that sound like great fun!!! And a wonderful gift for someone very special. This is sure to be a favorite class. Registration forms are available on the Shepherd's Staff web page.
As in the building of the Tabernacle - "the Lord has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts - to make artistic designs for work in gold,silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood and to engage in all kinds of artistic craftsmanship." Exodus 35:31-33 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment

jdingw@yahoo.com